Is this a positive pregnancy test?
We received this question and photo by e-mail last week.
"I wanted to ask if this is considered a positive? Picture was taken within the test time frame. Hope to hear back soon."
Here is our answer to whether this is a positive pregnancy test or not
So why is there so much confusion over interpreting these ultra early detection pregnancy test strip results
So what causes this slight pinkish discolouration on my pregnancy test strip?
There are many possible causes for this and sadly most of them are not pregnancy, but the good news is some of them will be:
Possible causes for a slight pink discolouration around the test zone on a pregnancy test strip:
- Low background levels of hcg caused by a recent miscarriage
- Colour leakage from the C line (control line)
- Seeing the test substrate that is embedded into the test strip (this may happen if the photo is digitally enhanced)
- A chemical pregnancy-ie a pregnancy started but then failed to progress
- You may be pregnant but the hcg levels are still too low to give you a bfp ie below 10miu hcg
- You may have tested at the wrong time of day or on too dilute a urine sample. To have the best chance of getting a reliable result the ultra sensitive pregnancy test should always be performed on a first morning void ie the urine you produce on first waking in the morning before you have had a drink as this is usually the most concentrated urine sample you will produce.
- You tested too early and the hcg levels are too low to give a BFP. The more sensitive the pregnancy test strip the earlier it will detect hcg
What should I do if my pregnancy test strips shows slight pink but no line
- Check the sensitivity of the pregnancy test strip you are using and check the expiry date to make sure that they are in date.
- Check when you LMP last menstrual period was. If you do your pregnancy test too early you are very unlikely to get a BFP even if you are pregnant.
- Accept that it is probably just an evap line on your pregnancy test strip.
- Repeat your pregnancy test the next day on a your first morning urine after you get out of bed.
Still confused about your pregnancy test strip result, then we would love to help you
Send us your pregnancy test strips results, and we will be happy to advise you
If you have a series of progression photos showing progression from slight discolouration to a BFP we would love to see them.